Sunday, July 14, 2013

Scene 2: Three way battle.

 This is the second illustration practice i tried and experimented with. This is the first time i have attempted a drawing with this many subject matters. I mapped out the basic shapes and positioning of the figures to start with. To make the rendering easier, i chose a warm toned gray as base, therefore its easier for me to determine the light and dark values for the drawing.
Once i was happy with basic main figures i wanted to add in a couple of background characters, as it is showing a 3 faction fight which is part of The Secret World. (Illuminati vs Templar vs Dragon).
Also the type of creatures featured in game, as the game deals with the concept of conspiracy theories, the creatures/monsters ranges from mystical to folk-lore horror stories. At this point in game, developers have released some hints for the up coming Tokyo update by putting flying dragons in areas. As a promotional teaser. Thus i want to use the dragons as the theme for this practice.
I also wanted to show a range of weapons and abilities available in game, therefore there is magic, high-tech weapons as well as traditional close combat weapons such as sword, hammer and even claws. This would give the viewer a feel for the game

 I started to position more background figures into the composition, as i think this would add to the intensity of the scene. I chose to have the figures dressed in the current in-game faction uniforms to have them easily recognizable. As i mentioned before regarding the loading screens when entering a new area. At this point for the drawing, i not only wanted the battle to be mainly focused on the 3 factions but also the creature at the back, as these 3 factions compete each other for the kill of the "boss". I have started to add in background color, but made it invisible for now to get a clearer view of the positioning of the figures.


 This is what the background color is turning out to be. I think i have managed the color values better than i expected. With the background color, i can see the figure in the front with his back to us is currently looking too bright, as the main light source is in the direction he's facing, his back need to be darker.
Also proportion wise, he need to appear larger as he is the closest to the front. Which means i will have to make some alterations to his positioning, also pose as i need him to be pointing the pistol at the blonde. I will leave this adjustment till last, once i get the rest of the picture into perspective.

 Once i had enough drawing the rest of the picture, i moved my focus back onto the figure in the front. I reworked on his pose as best as i could, now it is much better as he appears to be targeting the blonde female. At the moment he is still need to appear larger to give the illustration more depth. And as mentioned before, with his back towards the viewer, the tones need to be darker.
This is the final outcome. I have adjusted the front figure more, darkened the tones and to my surprise it did improve the picture perspective alot more. I have in the end added another small background figure to face the boss to hint the idea of player vs player vs boss. I also played around with the dragon's fire to make it look more intense.
Overall i am content with this piece. This is the furthest i have ever tried to push myself with an illustration and for the time frame i tried to squeeze this work into i have tried my best at getting it as best as i could do at the moment. I do feel like because i forced myself into doing something harder than usual, it made me practice and tried techniques that i have never attempted before, with interesting positive results. This was a very good exercise for me and i feel that by doing this i taught myself more about colors and light values.
I also feel that it has enabled me to draw faster as well, as i learnt some new methods. 

The next step i will progress towards is the 3 sets of uniforms for the 3 factions, as the costumes are the main contents for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment